September 28th, 2012
Lose the ability to slip out of meetings unnoticed
RESPECT THE 80/20 RULE . . . SMARTY PANTS.
Don’t fall into the “online vs. offline” trap. All media can and should be experiential and participatory—that is, when you fuse content (message) and context (media) together as one. For proof, look no further than the classic Economist campaign. Instead of talking at their audience—“Hey affluent, well-educated and influential people, read the number one magazine in the world according to the L.A. Times”—The Economist has engaged them by adhering to the 80/20 Rule. (The who?!) Similar to a great joke, the most impactful marketing ideas only take you 80% of the way. The audience has to go the other 20% to close the loop, fill in the blank, and participate in the solution. If you say too little or try to be too clever and only travel 30-50% the way there, you run the risk of not being relevant. Or mystifying your audience to the point of annoyance—“Wait, come again. What was that ad for? Don’t get us wrong, we love a Phil Collins-drumming gorilla, but how does this sell milk chocolate?!”
On the flip side, if you say too much and try to spell out your strategy in straight, spoon-fed information, you run the risk of . . . zap. Flip. Delete. “Unlike.” Turn the page. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. In summary, follow the wisdom of one of the most successful, timeless campaigns. Respect the 80/20 Rule. And give your brand a far greater chance of being remembered, and ultimately, selected. Whether that’s online, offline, shoreline, hairline, any “line,” really. Just don’t confuse channels and tactics for strategies and big ideas—okay, smart guy?
RESPECT THE PARODY?
If you’re having trouble closing the loop on this one, let us explain. You see, what Wonderbra is suggesting is…you don’t have to be smart and read The Economist to become a CEO at a very young age. All you have to be is, well, umm…how ’bout that Browns game last night?