December 11th, 2015
Is Instagram for your brand?
One Brokaw brother who shall remain nameless, forwarded an article by Fast Company’s Justin Rezvani entitled, “Why Every Brand Should Be On Instagram.”
Rezvani provides a nice chunk of data to support his point, including:
- Last year mobile media consumption surpassed online with more than 100 million daily active users, 1.6 billion daily likes, and 20 billion shared photos.
- There is 42% penetration of millennial smartphone users, and they spend more than an astounding 439 minutes per month on the platform.
- Users were more likely to like, comment, or share a brand’s post than both Facebook and Twitter users.
And he ends with a sweeping statement, “This absolutely proves that Instagram is the best social and mobile platform for brands to reach audiences that are willing to engage. If you’re not marketing on Instagram, you’re missing out.”
And now, I’ll dispute that. (Probably not a good move with the boss man.)
Don’t get me wrong; I love Instagram, influencers, and images. I believe that visual storytelling is a great way for brands to demonstrate their authenticity, drive awareness, and gain trust. But it’s not about what we believe. In fact, it’s not about us at all. It’s about our audience. Something Rezvani fails to mention – unless, of course, you only want to target Millennials, which Instagram is great for.
So, how do you know if your brand should join a new, or additional, social platform? Answer these questions first:
- Does the social platform in question serve your business and marketing objectives?
- Does it support your brand voice?
- Is your audience currently on the platform?
- Can you reach an aspirational audience?
- How will you measure success on the platform?
- Does your team have the manpower, resources, and time to manage?
- Do you have content, quality content, for the platform? Remember, content generation is a 24/7 job.
Personally, I’d rather do a few things well, than a lot of things poorly. And by things, I mean social platforms.
If I may allude to a past Blog Post, “If you don’t have anything to say, don’t say anything at all.”
So, should every brand be on Instagram? (Say it with me, Mr. Rezvani) No.
Should some? Yes. And here are some of the coolest things those brands are up to recently:
- Ford Drive Responsibly Liking and Driving Campaign.
- Love has no labels.
- Reynolds Wrap Endless Table.
- Now Trending on Instagram: Favorite Brother’s Pixel Art—a timeless, clean, and nostalgic art form.